Sample Itinerary for Sailing Instruction: Large Keelboat Experience
- Day/Night 1: Board mid-morning to meet the Captain and Crew and become familiar with the vessel for the start of your Sailing Instruction: Large Keelboat Experience. We will have lunch, discuss student goals & skills, conduct a Navigation Rules Review and sail to our first destination during which you will review and practice a series of Skipper Skills including boarding, personal preparation, navigation, systems above and below deck, slip departure, boat handling under power, hoisting/dousing/furling/unfurling sails, winch techniques and anchoring. Each day/night our chef will prepare you breakfast, lunch and dinner and provide beverages and snacks throughout your training day. We will anchor early evening with you participating in a ground tackle clinic and practical exercise and we’ll conduct a Navigation Rules discussion/Q&A. After dinner, you will prepare for the next day’s sailing and have a chance to visit with the Captain and Mate for Q&A before retiring to onboard activities.
- Day/Night 2: Review of the Basic Sail Trim Course. Throughout the busy sailing day, you will plan and pilot Take Me There (as her Master) to the next destination. We will review and practice boat handling under sail/points of sail, heading up/bearing away, tacking, gybing, and luffing up/stopping/getting out of irons. Skill application includes Navigation and Sail Planning, Weather Interpretation and below deck systems-check review and setting the vessel for anchoring at night.
- Day/Night 3: Skill application includes parallel docking, heave to, crew overboard & recovery, slip return and knots. We will do an anchoring problem exercise and conduct tender operations. We will conduct a table-top exercise to enhance rules of the road training.
- Day/Night 4: Skipper Certification testing using NauticEd’s Rubrics based assessment including skills associated with prepare to depart, leave point of departure, maneuver under sail in close quarters & operate in open water.
Limited visibility anchoring and written exam review.
- Day/Night 5: Continue Rubric based assessment including skills associated with perform general safety and emergency procedures and maneuvers. Table-top exercise for limited visibility Rules of the road.
- Day 6: We will sail to the marina using the student sail plan and continuing Rubric based assessments including skills associated with arrive at destination and secure the boat, performance review and issuance of certification documentation. Disembark at approximately 4 PM.
Student Take Aways: At the end of your Take Me There Sailing Instruction – Large Keelboat Experience, you will have significantly improved your personal sailing skill proficiency, confidence and competence. You will have logged 40 hrs. (5 days) as Vessel Master and if you pass all Ruberics based assessments, you may add the NauticEd Skipper Course Certification, Anchoring & Maneuvering Under Power Endorsements to your Sailing Certificate.
***Note: Take Me There Sailing offers beer, wine and select packaged cocktails as part of our All-Inclusive model. Sailing Instruction period is 9:00 AM – 6:00 PM daily, with one night exercise in the itinerary. No alcoholic beverages will be served to students between 12:00 AM and 6:00 PM daily, or during periods that may impair judgement for designated night exercise periods.
Sailing Instruction: Large Keelboat Experience
$10,125 for 2 guests
Unrivaled large Keelboat sailing instruction and experience!
This Sailing Instruction: Large Keelboat Experience is an immersive opportunity to apply your sailing theory to hands-on scenarios while enjoying your time aboard a beautiful vessel with your Captain and Concierge at your service.
Whether you are just starting out, or you are an experienced sailor wanting a tune-up on sailing skills – our Sailing Proficiency – Large Keelboat Experience is for you! This is an all-inclusive, 5-night (6-Day) itinerary for 1 student (and a guest) or a student-couple who are serious about developing competence in personal sailing skills on a large vessel. As a student, you train each day onboard our 60-foot Gulfstar Motor-Sailer with your personal USCG Captain & NauticEd Instructor. You advance to the NauticEd Skipper Rank while all aboard enjoy the pampering of our all-inclusive experience including lodging and culinary delights!
- 6 online training courses for up to 2 students (with virtual instructor mentoring)
- Navigation Rules Clinic
- Basic Sail Trim Course
- Sail Trim Clinic
- Maneuvering Under Power
- Anchoring a Sailboat
- Skipper Course
- Electronic Logbooks
- 40 hours of logged sailing time as Master of a vessel over 26 ft (8 m) in the Charlotte Harbor area for your sailing resume
- Vessel and onboard expenses for up to 2 people including linens, food, fuel, sundry items, and cleaning
- Lodging in private, luxury accommodations (private cabin available for each student)
- Restaurant quality meals, snacks, beverages
- Instructor/USCG Licensed Captain
Excludes: Transportation, Airfare, Off-Boat Excursions
Prequalification Requirements: Some sailing experience
Note: Dates shown in red are currently unavailable/booked.